Come August, the I-Day enlivens our mind. One of the greatest Independence day is ours. Sir Winston Churchill expressed many reservations for granting us freedom. We do not want to verbatim reproduce what he said and besmear our page but two things are worth mentioning:
1) "The politicians will sell water and air and loot the poor". Though water is being sold in many parts of civilization, yet at not such a pathetic state as in India where The world famous Perennial Rivers flow from the Himalayas and the Vindia Mountains. Even the towns and cities on the banks of CAUVERI, Vaigai and Tamiraparani the life givers of the South agitate for drinking water. This is a dangerous symptom the Government shall not fail to take note of.
2) We congratulate The BJP government led by Mr Narendra Modi, in announcing the Inter state rivers linking project. Though belated, it is a very good move by the Government. Though Kerala Government has raised its voice that the state governments shall be consulted before the commencement of the gigantic task Modi Government will carry with it all the states in implementing this long awaited Project. It was late Mr Annadurai the first Dravidian statesman Chief minister to envisage this, who promised food at Rupee one if the national rivers are interlinked. Mr Nodi will be fulfilling the dreams of the Revelutionary poet Subramania Bharathi, who dreamt of an interstate water ways too in addition to irrigation.
3) A couple of days ago news appeared telling us the discovery of a gigantic Crater where in giant copters can fly in safely and come out unhit in to that crater. Though many scientific explanations are given for the phenomenon, one thing is sure---the effect of elnino.
4) A central ordinance declaring Minerals and water as the central governments' subject is very imminent - if we want to save our land and people from national catastrophe looming large over head.
5) Health of the public and private as well as general sanitation and hygiene have been completely neglected to woeful state through out India. These glaring phenomena are eye irritating only for the past 3 years. The reasons are not far to seek. Number one the down trodden communities who usually carry out these hygienic works have fully freed themselves from these works as they felt uncomfortable and expecting others too to take them up. This is sure a symptom of freedom but the safety of the society is at great danger exposing to various contagious diseases, waiting to pounce upon. The other communities should be encouraged to come forward to take these jobs with a lot of mechanization now available. Miserably these fronts are glaring failures of all states. Rarely we can see a clean street or a public resort. They are filled with dust, soot and rubbish. The state Governments must create a monitoring cell for this purpose.
6) Ecology imbalance - Every day we hear a complaint of wild animals trespassing in to habitation and endangering human lives in addition to cattle. A few days earlier a forest guard was mauled by a stray panther and he was dragged inside the forest by the beast. He succumbed to his injuries. Fear ruled the valley till it was trapped. What does this indicate? Men have over drawn the natural wealth deprieving the fauna of their sustenance. Hence they intrude in to civilization. It is high time we provide basic facilities to the world of fauna like drinking water holes,foliage to graze and bushes for shelter. Again we come back to afforestation on a major level. It will have dual purpose of attracting rain bearing clouds and recharge the parched water basins.
7) Inflation - Rising inflation cuts at the very roots of economic growth. The seeming surge in income is nullified by the price rise. Vegetable prices sky racketing, common man is deprieved of a balanced food. Malnurtion combined with high priced essential drugs buffeted by cartels of medical fraternity and the business class, becomes a rich hunting ground for the money hungry hounds donning the mantle of Hippocrate's Oath.
8) The whole administrative machinery moves lubricated by hush money.
9) Agitations - Even for ordinary services people take to agitation. An ideal country will see no agitation to press for the demand rightfully due.
10) We thank our Dynamic Prime Minister in asking the scientists to give their best to Agriculture. One note of warning at this juncture. By introducing genetically modified seeds irrepairable damage has been done to the health of the citizens. The scientists must take effective steps to reverse the damages and reinstall our age old well proven methods. While we welcome science let it not be making an entry for the western ways of life. Our Agriculture has been the best in the world. Let the scientists help us preserve them and strengthen them, so that we can lend our helping hand to others.
Kaviyogi Dr P. Pandian I.A.S (r)